1/1 Photo of Spaghetti Squash With Sage and Walnuts
2 hrs 40 mins
From Urban Italian by Andrew Carmellini. He suggests serving with a Pork Arrosto. Notice that steps 1 through 7 can be done the day before.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Cut squash in half lengthwise and deseed.
- 3Place the squash halves on a roasting rack and season with 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
- 4Place 1 tablespoon of butter and 2 sage leaves in the hollowed-out core of each half.
- 5Bake the squash on a tray on the oven's middle rack until the flesh is just soft--about 1 hour (or longer-it all depends on your oven).
- 6Remove the squash and let it cool until you can work with the flesh comfortably, about 15 minutes.
- 7Using a fork, scrape the meat of the squash away from the skin, so that you get fluffy spaghetti-like strands. Reserve these and discard the skins. The squash will hold at this point up to a day ahead of time, in an air-tight container in the fridge.
- 8Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- 9When the butter has melted, add the walnuts.
- 10Toast the nuts and allow the butter to bubble, about 1 minute.
- 11Add the rest of the sage leaves.
- 12When the leaves release their aroma and begin to crackle in the pan (about 1 minute), add the squash and stir to coat it with the flavored butter.
- 13Cook for 2 minutes over medium heat until the squash is warm, stirring frequently so the flavors get inside the squash.
- 14Season the rest of the salt and pepper.
- 15Serve on a large plate or platter, topped with the cheese.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spaghetti Squash With Sage and Walnuts
Serving Size: 1 (250 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 222.9
- Calories from Fat 157
- Total Fat 17.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 26.0 mg
- Sodium 428.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 3.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh sage leaves