This is a great way to use this healthy squash. Chef's note 9/13: I just changed it up and it worked perfectly. I used the squash as directed and added more carrots (I didn't have bell peppers). I used the broth and soy sauce as well as a heaping tablespoon of spicy black bean sauce. It was so tasty, I put it under a chicken and broccoli stir fry and I didn't need any rice.
- 1 spaghetti squash (about 3 pounds)
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and julienned
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and julienned
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon basil, dried
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Pierce the squash with the tip of a sharp knife in several places; place on a paper plate and microwave on high 20 minutes, until just softened, turning once during cooking. Let stand 5 minutes to cool. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Using a fork, scoop out the pulp. Measure out 6 cups of squash (reserving any remaining squash for another use).
- Spray a large nonstick skillet or wok with nonstick spray; heat. Add the vegetables and cook, stirring as needed, until tender-crisp, 7 - 8 minutes.
- Stir in the spaghetti squash, broth, soy sauce, basil and black pepper; cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Serve, sprinkled with cheese.