Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
An alternative to potatoes au gratin :) And who doesn't love that!
Make and share this Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin recipe from Food.com.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half and remove the seeds. Place in a covered dish with a ¼ inch of water and microwave for 10 -12 minutes.
- In a medium sized skillet over medium heat, add the butter, onions, red pepper and thyme and cook until the onions are slightly brown in color. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a fork, scrape the insides of the squash and transfer to a small bowl.
- Combine the squash, onions, sour cream and half the cheese together and mix well. Transfer the mixture to a buttered baking dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Place into a 375º for 15 – 20 minutes until golden brown on top.
This is really a different way to serve squash and we quite enjoyed it. It is great for South Beach Dieters as it's almost like potatoes au gratin only it is "legal"! Once I got the dang squash cut in half it was smooth sailing. I used low fat sour cream and low fat cheese blend with cheddar, gouda, mozzarella and provolone. Yum! Made for PAC 2012, thanks for the lovely recipe.
I really enjoyed having a new recipe to try using spaghetti squash.To lighten up the original recipe: I deleted the butter and cooked the onions with a teaspoon of EVOO. I used ?Light? sour cream and low fat mozzarella cheese. I also found it was important to use a large enough mixing bowl to evenly coat the spaghetti squash with the sour cream mixture. <br/>Thanks for sharing!
I love this recipe but found it impossible to cut the squash in half, so I microwaved it for 5 minutes.