Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
An alternative to potatoes au gratin :) And who doesn't love that!
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion, cut in half and very thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half and remove the seeds. Place in a covered dish with a ¼ inch of water and microwave for 10 -12 minutes.
- In a medium sized skillet over medium heat, add the butter, onions, red pepper and thyme and cook until the onions are slightly brown in color. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a fork, scrape the insides of the squash and transfer to a small bowl.
- Combine the squash, onions, sour cream and half the cheese together and mix well. Transfer the mixture to a buttered baking dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Place into a 375º for 15 – 20 minutes until golden brown on top.
I love this recipe but found it impossible to cut the squash in half, so I microwaved it for 5 minutes.
This is a nice, unique side dish. It's very creamy and cheesy. I made this as written, just adding a little garlic ans some salt. I loved the kick of heat from the crushed red pepper. Thanx for a new to prepare spaghetti squash!
This is really a different way to serve squash and we quite enjoyed it. It is great for South Beach Dieters as it's almost like potatoes au gratin only it is "legal"! Once I got the dang squash cut in half it was smooth sailing. I used low fat sour cream and low fat cheese blend with cheddar, gouda, mozzarella and provolone. Yum! Made for PAC 2012, thanks for the lovely recipe.