Prep 7 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe comes to you from Mr. Food. I saw it on tv a few years ago and just recently ran across it. I have made it several times and we always enjoy it. Mr. Food says this is a great make ahead dish, and that it freezes well.
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 (4 ounce) cansliced mushrooms or 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces (drained)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked spaghetti, broken into 3 inch pieces (about 4 oz)
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked long grain rice or 1 1⁄2 cups whole grain rice
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans ready-to-serve chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium high heat.
- Add mushrooms and onions and saute until lightly browned; remove from skillet and set aside.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in the skillet and brown spaghetti over medium-low heat.
- (Be careful--it browns quickly).
- Remove the skillet from the heat and return mushrooms and onions to the skillet.
- Add the remaining ingredients, mixing well.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed.