Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
FRom Parents mag April 2010.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) canlow-sodium diced tomatoes
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 6 ounces ground turkey breast
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 small egg, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 ounces whole wheat spaghetti, broken
For Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 8 slices baguette
- 4 teaspoons unsalted butter
- For Soup:Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a large pot on medium high heat. Put in the garlic, carrots, celery, and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil. then reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the meatballs: In a small bowl, combine turkey, bread crumbs, basil, egg, and 1/4 cup cheese. Roll into mini balls using 1 tsp meat mixture. In a pan on medium high heat, brown meatballs in remaining oil until golden on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Add spaghetti and meatballs to broth. Simmer 10 minutes, until pasta is tender. Divide into 4 portions and top with remaining Parmesan.
- For Grilled Cheese:Heat a skillet on medium. Sandwich cheese in between bread slices. Lightly butter both sides of each sandwich.
- Cook in a skillet until golden brown on each side, and the cheese has melted, 3 to 4 minutes per side.