Home made German dumplings. If you can find a Spaetzle maker, it makes the job easier.. The chef in the family, my son, tells me that they are better, if you melt some butter and sauté a chopped onion, then you add your cooked spaetzles, let them absorb the flavour and serve. He is right.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil.
- Reduce heat and maintain water to a simmer.
- In medium bowl, combine all the ingredients into a batter.
- Place a colander over the pan of water. Pour about ¼ of the batter in the colander and press through the holes into the water with a spatula.
- When dumplings begin to float, cover pan and simmer about 5 minutes until they appear to swell and are fluffy.
- Remove dumplings and repeat with remaining batter.
- They freeze very well.