This recipe came from a German cookbook that my brother sent to me. You can do all the above before hand, less then 2 hours before you're ready to eat. It is especially good with the Jaeger Schnitzel sauce that can also be found on recipezaar.
- Combine flour, nutmeg, and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- In another bowl, whisk egg and milk.
- Make a well in the center of the flour, pour in the egg mixture.
- Beat with a wooden spoon until elastic feeling
- Bring some water to a boil, and push batter through a spaetzle maker. You can also just cut the batter into small sized pieces and toss into the boiling water (but it takes a while to cut all those pieces).
- Boil 6-8 minutes, until they start floating and aren't real doughy.
- Remove and drain.
- Before serving, melt butter and toss spaetzle over medium heat for 5 minutes.