Recipe by ** Poppy **
When you come to Greece you will find a souvlaki bar at every corner!! Try it..you will not regret it.
- 2 lbs lean boneless leg of lamb, 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 2⁄3 cup onion, chop
- 2⁄3 cup fresh parsley
- 2⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons garlic, mince
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- red pepper mayonnaise or tzatziki
- 1 medium onion, slice thin
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 8 pita breads (8")
- 2 cups lettuce, shredded
- 2 medium tomatoes, halve,slice thin
- Tabasco sauce or hot sauce (optional)
- 8 metal skewers or 8 presoaked long bamboo skewers (8")
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the lamb cubes in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine all the marinade ingredients in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade, and process to a puree.
- Pour the marinade over the lamb.
- Toss the meat to coat well with the marinade.
- Cover and let marinate for at least 4 hours at room temp or refrigerate overnight.
- Prepare the mayonnaise and/or tzatziki, cover and refrigerate.
- Toss the onion with the vinegar, cover, and refrigerate.
- Wrap the pitas in foil and keep warm in a preheated 350~ oven while you cook the lamb.
- Bring the lamb to room temp.
- Thread the lamb cubes onto the skewers.
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in a grill.
- Place the lamb on the grill and cook, turning them frequently, until the lamb is medium rare, about 7 minutes.
- Transfer the lamb cubes to a warm platter, and remove the lamb from the skewers.
- These can also be broiled.
- Set out the pita breads, lamb, the mayonnaise and/or tzatziki, onion, lettuce, and tomatoes at the table for guests to help themselves.
- Spread some mayonnaise or tzatziki over a pita.
- Distribute a few cubes of lamb on the bread and top with onion, lettuce, and tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with a few drops of Tabasco sauce, if desired, roll up the pita, and eat the sandwich out of hand.
- If you use store-bought instead of homemade pocketless pita breads, reheat them before serving.
- To reheat,wrap them in foil in stacks of 2.
- Place the foil-wrapped pita breads in a preheated 400~ oven until they are soft, about 15 minutes.