Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Loaded with cilantro and lime, this tri-tip steak is marinated in beer, wine and spices. The recipe as it stands produces a pretty mild result. Choose a dark beer for a richer flavor and, to increase the heat level, add more red pepper flakes or toss in a chopped up jalapeno pepper. (The seeds and membranes hold the most heat in a pepper, so you can further adjust heat levels that way.)
- 1 lb tri-tip steak
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 6 -8 limes, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Mix together all ingredients except steaks and place steaks in a large baking dish or zip-lock bag. Pour the marinade over the steaks and chill in the fridge for several (up to 24) hours.
- Bring steaks to room temperature (about 30 minutes) and preheat grill.
- Grill for 8 to 10 minutes or until they reach desired doneness, then let steaks rest, covered with foil, for 5 minutes to redistribute juices.
- Slice thinly against the grain and serve.