1/1 Photo of Southwestern Sunset Stew With Soft Polenta (Ww Core)
A recipe inspired by "Vegetarian Times," a good read whether you are vegetarian, vegan or omnivorous. I love comforting stews in the winter and this one grabbed me instantly. The golden, orange and reddish hues will remind you of a perfect Southwestern sunset. of This gets even better the next day, so cook ahead if you like.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 to 1 1/2 cups depending on your tastes)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube, mixed into three cups of hot water (vegetable or faux chicken flavor)
- 2 1/2 cups peeled cubed butternut squash (3/4-inch pieces)
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 large pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- finely chopped red bell peppers (to garnish) or yellow bell pepper (to garnish)
- 1In large saucepan, soup pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened and slightly colored, about 8 minutes.
- 2Stirring continuously, add in garlic, flour, cumin, chili powder and coriander and cook an additional minute.
- 3Stir in broth, tomatoes, squash, potato, corn, and salt. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover partially and simmer 15 minutes.
- 4Stir in tomato paste, basil, cinnamon and pepper; cover partially and simmer gently until flavors have blended, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 5About 35 minutes before you plan to eat, make soft polenta. Start by bringing 3 1/2 cups of water to boil, adding salt. Mix remaining cup of water to cornmeal to create a slurry. Whisking vigorously, stir the slurry into the water. Using your whisk, keep mixing and stirring until polenta is cooked, about 30 minutes. When it is almost done, rewarm stew, if needed, over low heat.
- 6Spoon portions of polenta into large, shallow soup bowls, making wide depression in center. Spoon some stew into each depression, garnish with chopped bell pepper and serve right away.
- 7* A note for WW Core followers: Though flour is not Core, the amount used here is less than a 1/2 point per serving.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwestern Sunset Stew With Soft Polenta (Ww Core)
Serving Size: 1 (470 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 267.0
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 607.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 6.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetable bouillon cubes