Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
I found the original recipe on the Better Homes & Gardens web site
Top Review by CaliforniaJan
This is a very easy and tasty soup that goes together with ingredients that most everyone has on hand. I added a few more beans and some tomato paste. I love the dumplings that cook on top at the end. Made for photo tag.
- 3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups beef broth or 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans or 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans or 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 1⁄2 ounces Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced green chili peppers, undrained
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 beaten egg white
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine broth, beans, undrained tomatoes, corn, carrot, onion, chili peppers, chili powder, and garlic in a crock pot (3 1/2 to 4 qt size is best).
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours.
- Stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and pepper in a medium sized bowl.
- Mix together egg white, milk, and oil in a small bowl.
- Add to flour mixture and stir with a fork just until combined.
- Divide dumpling mixture into 6 mounds and drop on top of the bubbling soup.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 30 minutes more or on high-heat setting for 20 minutes more (don''t give in to temptation to lift lid) or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serve in bowls with 1 dumpling for each serving.