Recipe by BriarCraft
... or at least the taste of summer. Make this with home-grown zucchini, corn, peppers, and onions. Or use frozen corn and other store-bought veggies. This skillet meal is healthy and comfort food all in one. This is my own creation, developed and modified over the past several summers. I hope you enjoy.
- 591.47 ml penne pasta, uncooked (or your favorite pasta)
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 453.59 g extra lean ground beef
- 9.85 ml garlic, minced
- 236.59 ml onion, chopped
- 236.59 ml green pepper, chopped
- 946.36 ml zucchini, sliced or cubed
- 473.18 ml tomatoes, peeled and cubed
- 473.18 ml corn
- 425.24 g can black beans, washed and drained
- 7.39 ml salt
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 9.85 ml chili powder, to taste
- chili pepper flakes (optional, to taste)
- 118.29 ml cold water
- 14.79 ml cornstarch
- 236.59 ml cream cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook penne (or your favorite pasta) according to package directions. Drain.
- Heat olive oil in a large 14-inch skillet. Brown ground beef with garlic, onion, and pepper.
- Add tomatoes and zucchini and simmer for 2-3 minutes until zucchini is almost tender.
- Add corn, black beans, salt, pepper, and chili powder.
- Dissolve cornstarch in cold water and then add to the skillet, stirring constantly until liquid returns to a simmer and thickens, about 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low setting. Stir in cream cheese until melted.
- Add cooked, drained penne and stir until heated through. Taste and add more seasonings, if desired.