Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Although the recipe calls for Ground Turkey or Chicken, this is sure to be good with ground beef as well. From the London Free Press.
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 1 medium cooking onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce (i.e.: Tabasco, chipotles hot sauce recommended)
- 1⁄3 cup hot salsa
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chicken or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup grated monterey jack cheese or 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Cook the bacon in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, until golden.
- Add onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic.
- Cook until the onion is soft.
- Stir in chili powder, oregano, salt and hot sauce.
- In a medium bowl, combine contents of skillet with the salsa, ground meat, breadcrumbs and egg.
- Spoon mixture in large loaf pan.
- Place in preheated 350 F oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and return to oven until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven let stand for at least 10 minutes.
- Serve with Salsa and sour cream on the side.
The flavour was quite good, if a little salty. But the texture left a lot to be desired. My husband described it as "cat food pate." I think it would be much better with ground beef, or a mixture of ground beef, pork and veal, rather than with ground chicken.
I was really surprised how tasty this was as it was my first ground turkey meatloaf ( I used breast). I topped it with 2% fat Mexican blend cheese. Taking my leftovers for lunch
Very good meatloaf which we made with ground turkey - next time I may try turkey and beef together, just for a change. I left out the green pepper (I was out) and used medium green salsa and cheddar cheese. Thanks for a great and easy meatloaf recipe!