Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Recipe posted in the July/August 2012 Taste of the South magazine, courtesy of Donald Nunn.
- 74 ounces canned tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 medium vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs stew meat (or cubed top sirloin steak)
- 3 lbs white potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh green beans (or frozen)
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh corn kernels (or frozen)
- In a large stockpot, combine the tomatoes,broth, tomato sauce, onion, celery, carrot, basil, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer.
- In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add meat and cook until browned. Add to tomato mixture and simmer until meat is tender, approximately 1 hour. Add potatoes and simmer for 10 minutes. Add green beans and corn and simmer another 5-6 minutes.