Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is adapted from a recipe booklet bought in the mountains.
- 1 1⁄4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 1⁄3 cups milk
- Stir together the corn meal, baking powder and salt.
- Pour the beaten eggs and melted butter into a greased casserole dish and stir together.
- Heat the milk in a medium sized saucepan until it starts to boil.
- Sprinkle in the dry ingredients, and stir well; continue cooking and stirring for 2-3 minutes as mixture thickens.
- Mix cornmeal mixture with the butter and eggs in the casserole dish.
- Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve hot from the dish--spoon bread is soft, so use a spoon to serve.