Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe is from southernfood.about.com. (Diana Rattray). Serve over hot biscuit with butter! Delicious!
- 8 ounces breakfast sausage
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2-1 3⁄4 cups milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 dash cayenne pepper (optional)
- Cook sausage in a medium skillet over medium-low heat, stirring and breaking up any clumps.
- Remove the sausage to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add 2 tablespoons shortening, vegetable oil, or lard to the drippings in the skillet.
- Add flour, stirring until blended and bubbling.
- Gradually add 1 1/2 cups milk; continue stirring and cooking until thickened and bubbly.
- Add the crumbled sausage.
- If too thick, add a little more milk.
- Taste and add salt and pepper. Stir in a dash of cayenne pepper, if desired.
- Serve over hot split and buttered biscuits. Serves 4 to 6.
I have made this twice now and we absolutely love it!!! It has earned a place in my permanent recipe book!
This is our sunday morning staple. i like to serve it over scrambled eggs topped w/ cheese, toast on the side. everyones fave. so easy to make, the only thing i want to point out is that the brand of sausage you use makes a difference in the flavor.