Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Use wehani rice. Wonderful as filing for avocado halves.
- 1 cup uncooked wehani rice
- 1 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped (4 oz.)
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne or 1 pinch hot sauce
- 5 scallions, minced (white and light green parts)
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried currants or 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- avocado, slices (to garnish)
- Rinse both rices together in a sieve. In large saucepan, combine rice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, oregano, thyme and 3 1/2 cups water. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until rice is tender and water is absorbed, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Spread pecans in small baking pan and bake until toasted and fragrant, stirring once, about 7 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In large shallow serving bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, remaining salt, pepper and cayenne. Add scallions, tomatoes, celery, bell pepper, currants and parsley and mix well.
- When rice is done, remove from heat and let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and stir into vegetable mixture. Chill at least 15 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in toasted pecans and garnish with avocado slices.
Loved it! A wonderful cold rice salad with a delightful combination of colors, tastes, and textures. This recipe is very lowfat and full of things that are good for you, but it's just plain delicious. I served this for dinner with pork loin but look forward to leftovers in my lunch this week. Wehani rice is a product from Lundberg, mine was sold as Christmas rice. It's a red, nutty, whole grain rice, very delicious and pairs nicely with brown rice. You could use all brown rice in this recipe, if needed. Thanks for sharing the recipe!