Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- white pepper, freshly ground
- 1 pinch nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 cup pecans (* see note)
- 1 sprig small celery leaves
- 1 1⁄2 cups light cream (** see note)
- 4 sprigs small mint
- Make chicken stock or use bouillon cubes.
- Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. When foam subsides, add onion; reduce heat to low.
- Saute onion, stirring frequently, until soft but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour until thoroughly blended; cook, stirring, over low heat 1 minute. Gradually pour in 2 cups stock, stirring constantly.
- Stir in salt, pepper to taste, and nutmeg; add pecans and sprig of celery leaves.
- Increase heat under saucepan to medium; heat soup to boiling.
- reduce heat to low; simmer soup gently 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cream; simmer over very low heat 5 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning; adjust with salt and pepper if desired.
- Ladle soup into individual warmed bowls.
- Serve at once. Notes: * finely ground (1 cup pecans equals about 4 ounces by weight). ** or half and half, use at room temperature.