Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
True comfort food for any Southerner. This recipe is the closest I have come to my Maw-Maw's recipe. From FoodTV.com.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place stale bread in a bowl with milk and squeeze the bread with your hand until well saturated with milk.
- With an electric mixer on high speed in a separate bowl, beat eggs with sugar until thick and pale.
- Stir in the vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and butter.
- Add the soaked bread crumbs to the egg mixture and stir well.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- It is important to allow enough time for the bread to absorb the egg mixture or the bread crumbs will float to the top during baking, leaving a layer of custard on the bottom of the dish.
- Transfer the mixture to a greased baking dish.
- Bake until firm, or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 45 to 50 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
- With an electric mixer, beat egg yolks until thick and pale.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and sugar.
- Pour the butter and sugar mixture over the egg yolks, beating constantly with the mixer, until well thickened.
- Stir in bourbon by hand.
- Serve over slightly cooled bread pudding.
I love this recipe. DH has been making this for years. The pudding is wonderful by itself, but the bourbon really gilds the lily. Great stuff!
This is a really rich, comfort food. Very easy to make. I did have to use rum in the sauce, I didn't have any bourbon. I will definately make this again. Thanks Kari for the great recipe.