Blueberry, Bread Pudding
photo by misty113
- Ready In:
- 8 cups cubed day old bread
- 8 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh blueberries or 1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 tablespoons sweet butter
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar, roughly chopped
- 1 cup prepared caramel topping
- 1 tablespoon whiskey, rum or favorite liquour
- In a butter 8 X 8 oven proof pan place 1/2 the bread cubes in pan place 1/2 the blueberries top remaining bread and then blueberries.
- Mix eggs, cream, milk, zest, cinnamon, extract, sugar and salt.
- Pour over bread pressing gentle to submerge bread then cover with plastic wrap and soak for one hour.
- Preheat oven 350.
- Remove wrap sprinkle brown sugar on top and dot with butter.
- Bake in oven for 45-50 minutes.
- Just before serving heat caramel and whiskey in a microwave proof dish.
- Dust pudding with powdered sugar and pour some sauce over pudding.
This was fabulous- we enjoyed this the day before Christmas. I didn't do the caramel sauce, since I served if for breakfast and wanted to watch my calories. I love to make this the night before and pop it in the oven for breakfast. Very filling and addictive.<br/><br/>Update- we make this at least 2 times a month for breakfast. It is so good with powdered sugar on top and/or maple syrup. My hubby and kids just love this breakfast. I like to use whole wheat French bread to make it even more filling. So great you make it the night before. What a fabulous great dish!
see 16 more reviews
Very yummy. I used 4 slices of blueberry crumble bread, and 4 slices of cinnamon bread. I also used all cream instead of 1/2 milk (had cream I had to use up) and orange zest for the lemon, double the vanilla, and just mixed everything together instead of layering it. I only baked for about 38 minutes and it came out perfect! Will be making this again.