Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this recipe in a book called, "Healthy Heart, Lifestyle Guide and Cookbook," on behalf of the Cleveland Clinic. I used my own beef broth from http://www.recipezaar.com/Shredded-Beef-for-French-Dips-Crock-Pot-155355 which probably made it less healthy, but my husband and I both liked it.
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can low-sodium crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 cup fozen corn, thawed (optional)
- pepper, freshly ground
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 ounces fresh Baby Spinach
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the onion, carrots, celery, jalapeno, and garlic. Saute for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, broth, cilantro, corn and pepper.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the beans, spinach, and lemon juice. Cook just until the spinach wilts.
- Serve immediately. Top with reduced-fat cheddar cheese.
- Note: I like this without the corn.