I found this recipe in a book called, "Healthy Heart, Lifestyle Guide and Cookbook," on behalf of the Cleveland Clinic. I used my own beef broth from http://www.recipezaar.com/Shredded-Beef-for-French-Dips-Crock-Pot-155355 which probably made it less healthy, but my husband and I both liked it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can low-sodium crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 cup fozen corn, thawed (optional)
- pepper, freshly ground
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 ounces fresh Baby Spinach
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the onion, carrots, celery, jalapeno, and garlic. Saute for about 5 minutes.
- 2Stir in the tomatoes, broth, cilantro, corn and pepper.
- 3Simmer for 10 minutes.
- 4Add the beans, spinach, and lemon juice. Cook just until the spinach wilts.
- 5Serve immediately. Top with reduced-fat cheddar cheese.
- 6Note: I like this without the corn.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for South of the Border Tomato Black Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (245 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 90.2
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.3 mg
- Sodium 319.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 5.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-sodium crushed tomatoes