Prep 2 hrs
Cook 45 mins
This recipe will give you 2 crusts. Wrap the other one up for later use if not needed. Wonderful crunchy great-tasting crust.
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup sourdough starter, room temp
- 3 -3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- Sprinkle yeast into warm water and sugar.
- Stir and let stand until it because foamy.
- Mix in Oil, sourdough starter,salt and one half of the flour.
- Gradually add enough of the remaining flour to make a dough.
- Turn dough onto smooth, lightly floured surface.
- Knead until smooth and elastic.
- Put in lightly oiled bowl, turning to coat all sides, cover with a cloth and let rise until doubled. This will take about an hour.
- Punch down and shape into two pizza crusts.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Sprinkle pizza pan or baking stone with Corn meal before placing the crust on it.
- Prebake crust for 10 minutes.
- Remove from Oven.
- Brush crusts with olive oil and spread with tomato sauce, then top with toppings of your choice.
- Sprinkle with grated mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes at 425 degrees. Might take longer depending how thick your toppings are.
- Prep time includes rising time.
- 8-10 servings per pizza crust depending on size of slices.
I have always been a crust girl. If the crust isn't spectacular, the pizza just isn't worth eating. This, dear friends, is most assuredly a pizza worth eating!!! Delightfully chewy interior, crisp lovely outer crust, and oodles and oodles of sourdough flavor...I could eat nothing but the crust and be completely and totally satisfied. I made one pizza with red sauce, ham, mushrooms and onions and one with caramelized onions instead of sauce. I topped both with a blend of cheddar, mozzarella, and provolone.
this was wonderful! My family loved it!! How long can you keep the crust in the fridge for?
Best pizza crust ever. We brush it with oil and sprinkle with garlic and parmesan before we add the meat and cheese. Wonderful "sauceless" pizza.