Prep 15 mins
Cook 43 mins
This recipe is used in the Ellsworth High School Foods class. It is scrumptious, and all the students devour it!
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix ingredients in plastic or glass container.
- Cover loosely.
- Leave at room temperature.
- for 3-5 days, stirring twice daily.
- Bubbles should form on the surface, and it should smell sour.
- At this point, refrigerate.
- Mixture may separate, so stir before using.
- Combine all ingredients and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease a 9x13" pan or an angel food cake pan.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Mix in eggs, sourdough starter, milk, flour, soda, baking powder, salt, and vanilla.
- Mix until light, about 3 minutes.
- Pour half of the batter into pan& spread evenly.
- Sprinkle with half of the topping.
- Pour remaining batter in pan, and sprinkle with remaining topping.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- For angel food cake pan, let cool for 10 minutes, then remove.
With some alterations, it turned out alright! Didn't have an overpowering sourdough taste at all, unlike the other reviews. I was planning on making a different sourdough coffee cake recipe from this website, but accidentally clicked on this one and made it instead, without noticing that I was following the wrong recipe... But anyway, the recipe looked weird to me so I tweaked it by adding more milk, less butter, and almost halving the sugar. Don't have measurements for these since I did them by eye, but the resulting mixture was still goopy, not pourable.
What A Waste Of MY Time! Where's the pecans???? This was a total waste of time...and sourdough can really take a lot of time, preparation, and ingredients. The recipe is written poorly, and has obvious ingredients missing. The pan type is incorrect for baking sourdough...atleast give us the correct baking time for the correct pan! ...I feel someone should have made this before submitting the recipe, as it's a real waste and a big dissappointment. There are other sourdough recipes listed here on this website that are great...and this isn't 1 of them! Waited 'til the next day, for a 2nd tasting, and found it just as big a disappointment as original tasting. Sorry...that I wasted my time and ingredients...
I was disappointed with this coffeecake. I felt the sourdough flavor really overpowered the other flavors. It wasn't near as good as similar coffeecakes that use sour cream or buttermilk in the batter. The recipe itself also needs some tweaking. The title refers to pecans but there aren't any mentioned in the recipe itself. I added 1/3 cup to the topping mixture. Even though I beat it for 3+ minutes it never got "light". The batter was really more like a sticky dough. The instructions mention you can bake it in a 13x9-inch pan or an angel food pan but then only say "bake for 30 minutes". I used an angel food cake pan and I knew there was no way it would be done in 30 minutes & it wasn't. It took 55 minutes. It was edible and very moist, but I doubt I'll ever make it again. Sorry. UPDATE - we felt this tasted better the next day since the sourdough flavor mellowed out. If you are going to prepare this, I recommend you make it a day early and serve it completely cooled.