Recipe by Queen Dana
This recipe is from Midwest Living. When I made this I just used all purpose flour instead of all purpose and wheat. Hope you enjoy.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup pecans or 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- browned butter frosting (recipe follows)
- chopped pecans (optional) or walnuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 15x10x1-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Beat in sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt until combined. Add eggs, pumpkin, sour cream, milk, and vanilla; beat until combined. Add all-purpose and whole wheat flours; beat until combined. Stir in 1 cup nuts.
- Spread mixture evenly into prepared baking pan. Bake in a 350° oven about 25 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack.
- Prepare Browned Butter Frosting; spread over cooled bars. If you like, sprinkle with additional nuts. Cut into bars.
- Browned Butter Frosting:.
- In a small saucepan, heat 1/2 cup butter over low heat until melted. Continue heating until the butter turns a light brown. Remove from heat and transfer butter to a medium mixing bowl. Add 3 cups powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer until combined. Beat in additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make a spreadable frosting. Use immediately. Makes about 1 cup.