Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a great cake to make ahead and serve warm with piping hot coffe or tea for a Sunday after church get together. The Sour cream Coffee cake freezes well. To reheat the cake, wrap it tightly in foil and heat it for 20 minutes.
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream
- Grease a 9 inch x 13 inch pan.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- To prepare the topping, cream the butter and icing sugar.
- Add the flour, cinnamon, rind and nuts.
- It's not necessary for this mixture to be smooth.
- Set aside.
- To prepare the batter, cream the butter, add the granulated sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then the vanilla.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix the baking soda with the sour cream.
- Stir half of the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture.
- Add the sour cream, then stir in the remaining dry ingredients.
- Spread in the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle on the topping and bake for 35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Serve warm.