1/2 Photos of Soup, Vegetable or Chicken-Vegetable (No-Salt-Added)
2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Netgirl's Healthy Cookbook's Note:
Since commercially made soups are really high in sodium (even the reduced sodium ones) and the no-salt-added ones aren't very tasty, I make my own soups. I freeze this one in one-cup containers and use it (and other soups) to break up the monotony of my daily lunch salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cups no-salt-added chicken stock (see other recipe coming soon)
- 2 cups water (purified)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small vidalia onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 (15 ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes, including juice
- 2 cups frozen no-salt-added peas
- 2 cups corn (buy 3 ears)
- 2 cups green beans (buy 3 large handfuls)
- 1 medium yukon gold potato
- 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added black beans or 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added navy beans or 1 (15 ounce) can other no-salt-added beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons flavor enhancer (see other recipe coming soon)
- 3 ounces no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken (optional)
- 1Make chicken stock.
- 2Add olive oil to soup pot.
- 3Chop onion, carrots, and celery.
- 4Heat olive oil over medium heat.
- 5When hot, add onion, carrots, and celery.
- 6Saute until softened.
- 7Add chicken stock and water and increase heat to high.
- 8Add remaining vegetables except tomato paste, and Flavor Enhancer.
- 9Bring to a boil.
- 10Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 11Mix tomato paste in 1/2 cup of the broth and add to soup.
- 12Add black pepper.
- 13Increase heat to high to return to simmer, then reduce to medium-low.
- 14Simmer for another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 15Add chicken, if using, and cook for 5 minutes.
- 16Set aside enough soup for rest of week.
- 17Freeze remaining soup in one cup containers for future use.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Soup, Vegetable or Chicken-Vegetable (No-Salt-Added)
Serving Size: 1 (2976 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 126.9
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 33.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 5.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
no-salt-added chicken stock