Recipe by Timothy H.
I had some sauerkraut on hand (usually have a case or less in the freezer) wanted to make a soup for a German party that I was invited too! I just made this from scratch and it is way beyond my expectations, the way all the flavors blended together.I made this in the crock pot a day in advance and you will find you have everything in cub board!
Top Review by Susie Pots & Pans
I lOVE Sauerkraut and LOVE this Soup! The flavors really blended well together. Great the next day! Remember, good rye bread! Great Eats! Keep it up! Regards, Susie Pots&Pans
- 2 quarts tomato juice
- 1 quart whole roma tomato
- 15 1⁄4 ounces canned corn
- 15 1⁄4 ounces green beans
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 (2 lb) bag sauerkraut
- 2 lbs smoked sausage or 2 lbs smoked kielbasa
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the whole Roma tomatoes into small pieces, about 1 inch pieces.
- Make sure you slice the sausage into 1/2 -1 inch rounds, then slice in half and add to the crock pot. Add all other ingredients to the crock and cook on low for 6-8 hours depending how your pot cooks.
- If your crock pot is high in temperature then you will only need 6 hours on low. If it one like mine that cooks cooler on low, then you will need 7-8 hours.