Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Totaly authentic and wonderful. Chicken Lime soup.
- 2 limes (Green-Yellow lime, only the juice)
- 2 limes, for garnish (cut in slices)
- 8 tortillas, de maiz (cut in large pieces)
- 1 chicken breast, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth ((authentic-real)
- 1 teaspoon chicken broth, dried
- 4 tomatoes (jitomates, ground or very finely chopped with the juice)
- 1 onion
- green chiles serranos (optional)
- 1 avocado, for to adorn (garnish)
- vegetable oil (for frying tortillas)
- salt and pepper
- Fry the tortilla slices in vegetable oil. Let stand in absorbent paper.
- Put the onion,diced in a sarten (pot) with oil, when onion is transparent put in the tomato with it's juice.
- Let it cook on low heat 20 minutes and add the chicken, chicken broth dried (I used chicken soup base), lime juice, salt and pepper and chile if using.
- Simmer on med low till chicken is cooked through.
- Add fried tortilla strips and garnish with lime and avocado, serve.
A lovely spicy soup. I used a ripe jalapeno, as that was what I had. Instead of frying tortillas, I used some tortilla strips that were intended for salads, but worked well here. Also, I just forgot the avocado (which then made a nice sandwich for me). Also, I used some turkey meatballs that I made during a meatball marathon a couple of days ago, and those worked just great. I reduced the recipe a bit to use three cups of broth, which was right for us for two servings, We really enjoyed this soup on this very cold night.
This soup is bursting with flavours and yet light and spicy. Wondeful for a cool evening!
So delicious... spicy and tangy, but light and filling. Wonderful blend of flavors. Thanks for sharing!