8 hrs 30 mins
In 'The Mexican Slow Cooker' by Deborah Schnider
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large poblano chiles
- 1 cup dried pinto bean, rinsed and picked over (or mayocoba beans)
- 2 jalapeno chilies, stemmed and cut lengthwise into strips
- 2 1/2 lbs stewing beef, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (or very lean chuck)
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon whole cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano (or dried epazote)
- 1 (7 ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo, with liquid, finely chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1Char the poblanos over a gas flame or under a broiler until they are blistered on all sides.
- 2Let cool slightly, then peel, seed, and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- 3Place the beans in the bottom of a 5-quart slow cooker.
- 4Top with the poblanos, jalapenos, beef, bacon , onion, garlic, salt, cumin, and oregano.
- 5Add the chipotles, tomatoes, broth, and water to the cooler.
- 6Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- 7Turn the cooker to warm setting and uncover.
- 8Let the soup settle for 15 minutes, then using a large spoon, skim off as much fat as possible.
- 9Remove the bacon, cut it into small pieces, and return to the soup.
- 10Thin the soup, if desired, with a little more broth or water.
- 11Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- 12Serve hot with warm tortillas on the side.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sopa De Frijol
Serving Size: 1 (597 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 432.0
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 124.5 mg
- Sodium 2059.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 52.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo