Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
In 'The Mexican Slow Cooker' by Deborah Schnider
Make and share this Sopa De Frijol recipe from Food.com.
- 2 large poblano chiles
- 1 cup dried pinto bean, rinsed and picked over (or mayocoba beans)
- 2 jalapeno chilies, stemmed and cut lengthwise into strips
- 2 1⁄2 lbs stewing beef, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (or very lean chuck)
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon whole cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano (or dried epazote)
- 1 (7 ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo, with liquid, finely chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- warm corn tortillas or flour tortilla
- Char the poblanos over a gas flame or under a broiler until they are blistered on all sides.
- Let cool slightly, then peel, seed, and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Place the beans in the bottom of a 5-quart slow cooker.
- Top with the poblanos, jalapenos, beef, bacon , onion, garlic, salt, cumin, and oregano.
- Add the chipotles, tomatoes, broth, and water to the cooler.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- Turn the cooker to warm setting and uncover.
- Let the soup settle for 15 minutes, then using a large spoon, skim off as much fat as possible.
- Remove the bacon, cut it into small pieces, and return to the soup.
- Thin the soup, if desired, with a little more broth or water.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Serve hot with warm tortillas on the side.