My daughter recently bought me some vintage cookbooks. This recipe came from Betty Crocker's Dinner in a Dish, published in 1965.
- Preheat oven to 400. Peel and slice the onion. Drain the corn.
- Brown the meat and onion in a large skillet until meat is cooked through and onion is tender.
- Stir in the tomato juice, corn, and seasonings. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Pour the meat into a 11x7 baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, cornmeal and salt. Mix in oil until mixture looks like fine crumbs.
- Add the water and blend until a soft dough forms (add a little more oil if necessary). Roll between 2 sheets of waxed paper into a 12x7 rectangle.
- Peel off the top sheet of waxed paper. Place pastry on top of meat mixture, then peel of the second piece of waxed paper. Cut 4 slits near the center of the pastry.
- Bake in 400 degree oven for 30-35 minutes.