1/2 Photos of Sombrero Pie
My daughter recently bought me some vintage cookbooks. This recipe came from Betty Crocker's Dinner in a Dish, published in 1965.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1 large onion
- 1 (20 ounce) can tomato juice
- 1 (12 ounce) can corn
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 400. Peel and slice the onion. Drain the corn.
- 2Brown the meat and onion in a large skillet until meat is cooked through and onion is tender.
- 3Stir in the tomato juice, corn, and seasonings. Simmer 10 minutes.
- 4Pour the meat into a 11x7 baking dish.
- 5In a large bowl, mix the flour, cornmeal and salt. Mix in oil until mixture looks like fine crumbs.
- 6Add the water and blend until a soft dough forms (add a little more oil if necessary). Roll between 2 sheets of waxed paper into a 12x7 rectangle.
- 7Peel off the top sheet of waxed paper. Place pastry on top of meat mixture, then peel of the second piece of waxed paper. Cut 4 slits near the center of the pastry.
- 8Bake in 400 degree oven for 30-35 minutes.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sombrero Pie
Serving Size: 1 (320 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 873.2
- Calories from Fat 452
- Total Fat 50.3 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 91.9 mg
- Sodium 1693.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 35.1 g