Recipe by beccalynn
These are so good! The original recipe came from some family cookbook we had. Since the time I first wrote it down, I of course don't know whose recipe it was, but here is our version of it. These are very SOFT cookies. My husband loves soft cookies, and these are the only home-made sugar cookies he likes! Today when I made the batch, I used bigger cookie cutters and got about 18 out of the batch. Last time I used a more standard size cookie cutter and got about 28 cookies. So I set the recipe size to reflect the larger cookie cutter, since that is what we use more often.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Soften butter. Combine with sugar and blend. Add egg, milk, and vanilla and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to sugar mixture, a little at a time, stirring to combine.
- After mixtures are combined, place some flour on a surface for rolling out cookies. I use about a third of the dough at a time.
- Place dough on the floured surface, kneading in some additional flour if needed, and roll out to desired thickness. Cut with cookie cutters and place on cookie sheet.
- Repeat process until you have used all of the dough.
- Bake at 350 for about 9 - 11 minutes, depending on the thickness. We make ours quite thick and usually need to bake them about 11 minutes, occasionally a minute longer.