Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These are so good! The original recipe came from some family cookbook we had. Since the time I first wrote it down, I of course don't know whose recipe it was, but here is our version of it. These are very SOFT cookies. My husband loves soft cookies, and these are the only home-made sugar cookies he likes! Today when I made the batch, I used bigger cookie cutters and got about 18 out of the batch. Last time I used a more standard size cookie cutter and got about 28 cookies. So I set the recipe size to reflect the larger cookie cutter, since that is what we use more often.
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Soften butter. Combine with sugar and blend. Add egg, milk, and vanilla and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to sugar mixture, a little at a time, stirring to combine.
- After mixtures are combined, place some flour on a surface for rolling out cookies. I use about a third of the dough at a time.
- Place dough on the floured surface, kneading in some additional flour if needed, and roll out to desired thickness. Cut with cookie cutters and place on cookie sheet.
- Repeat process until you have used all of the dough.
- Bake at 350 for about 9 - 11 minutes, depending on the thickness. We make ours quite thick and usually need to bake them about 11 minutes, occasionally a minute longer.
No taste at all if u like dry cake cookies with no sugar than this is the way to go...
I changed the recipe through necessity-I ran out of flour and didn't have baking powder! lol I used about 3.75 cups of flour and baking soda instead of powder. I also made drop cookies instead of cut-outs. They came out like little cakes! Still very good, however!
My family really liked the cookies the next day as well. We made the whole batch.4-1/2 cups flour. 1/2 went to cookies & 1/2 to a fruit pizza pie, the dough was soft just like mom used to make.I am definitely keeping this for future baking, aslo instead of vanilla I added orange extract to the flour mixture to have a fruity taste in the end. Worked out great! JPS