Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is wonderful with any kind of stew or braised meats such as lamb shanks or Osso Bucco. It's my idea of comfort food!
- 3 teaspoons butter
- 3 large leeks, white and pale green parts only,thinly sliced
- 2 1⁄4 cups water (or more)
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup polenta
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In a large heavy saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
- Add leeks, stir to coat and cook covered about 10 minutes until leeks are softened, stirring now and then.
- add water, broth and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil and gradually whisk in the polenta.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook stirring frequently until thick and creamy, about 35 minutes.
- Thin with more water as needed.
- Remove from heat and discard the bay leaf.
- Stir in the 1 tablespoon remaining butter and the Parmesan cheese.
Tasty easy comfort food, indeed. Although I was cooking for two, I used the same quantities and served half and saved half. I shaped the second half into soft patties, which we had with eggs for brunch the next day. I used vegetable stock instead of chicken.