Prep 45 mins
Cook 13 mins
From The Ultimate Chocolate Cookie Book
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cool and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 large egg white, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups rolled oats (do not use quick cooking oats)
- 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°; position rack in the center of oven.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt together until ingredients are evenly distributed; set aside.
- Soften the butter in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, about 1 minute.
- Add both sugars, and corn syrup; continue beating on medium speed about 2 more minutes until soft, light, and pale brown.
- Beat in the egg, then the egg white, milk, and vanilla until smooth.
- Turn off beaters; add the prepared flour mixture (in stages, if necessary) and beat on low speed just until incorporated.
- Stir in the oats and chocolate chips with a wooden spoon until the chips are evenly distributed.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons onto a large ungreased baking sheet, preferably nonstick, spacing cookies 2 inches apart.
- Bake 6 minutes, rotate the baking sheet from front to back, continue baking for about 7 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly browned, somewhat soft, but definitely set.
- Cool on the baking sheet for 1 minute; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cool the baking sheet for 5 minutes before baking another batch or use a second baking sheet that hasn’t been in the oven.
- Storage: 5 days at room temperature; not recommended for freezing.
- *Note: reduce the chocolate chips to 1 ½ cups and add 1 ½ cups of any of the following or a combination of the following—butterscotch chips, chopped pecans, chopped walnuts, dried cranberries, M&Ms, milk chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, raisins, Reese’s Pieces, roasted unsalted peanuts, sweetened shredded coconut, or white chocolate chips.
These are delicious! Worth the time it took.