Recipe by LuvMyBabies
I've searched and searched. I wanted a chewy sugar cookie. Finally found this online by a woman name gale and wow. Hubby and kids just love it, although this isn't for shaping. Just simple round chewy cookies. Yum.
Top Review by The Domestic Diva
I love this recipe. The only thing I did differently was to use unsalted butter because that is my personal preference. These have a wonderfully crispy chewiness to them all bundled in one cookie. It's a win-win at our house since we have varying preferences when it comes to sugar cookies. I have rolled them, but it is a tedious task and they grow quite a bit in the oven (so be warned!) Thanks for posting!! :D
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup salted butter (softened)
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 -4 tablespoons buttermilk
- candy sprinkles or colored crystal sugar, for decorating
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in dry ingredients. Add enough of the buttermilk to moisten the dough and make it soft, not wet.
- Roll rounded teaspoons of dough into balls and place on a ungreased cookie sheet. With a brush or fingers, moisten the top of each cookie with the remaining buttermilk and slightly flatten the top of each cookie. Sprinkle with raw sugar or colored sprinkles. You can also roll the cookies in the sugar sprinkles before baking.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until pale golden. Make sure you don't overcook or it won't be chewy! Let stand for 2 minutes before removing to cool on a rack.