Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 hrs
This is a really nice, light dessert. Perfect after a big meal. My Mom gave me the recipe about 15 years ago and I've made it several times. So far, everyone who has tried it has liked it. I hope you do, too. Posted in response to a request for "white" desserts.
- 1 angel food cake, cut off brown and tear into small pieces
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons gelatin powder (or appropriate amount of sheet gelatin to set 3 cups of liquid)
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups whipped topping
- 2 cups whipped topping (or equivalent amount of stabilized whipped cream)
- 1⁄2 cup coconut (or to taste) (optional)
- Sprinkle gelatine over cold water in a medium size bowl. Let stand for about 5 minutes.
- Add hot water and stir to dissolve gelatine, then mix in sugar, salt, orange juice and lemon juice.
- Refrigerate until partially set (about 1 hour).
- Line a dome-shaped bowl with plastic wrap. (Moistening the bowl, first, will help to hold the plastic wrap in place.)
- Prepare the whipped topping (what ever kind you've chosen) and then fold into the gelatin mixture.
- Starting with pieces of cake; place layers of cake and gelatin in bowl, pressing down after each layer.
- Set in refrigerator for at least 6 hours.
- To serve: unmold onto serving plate and remove plastic wrap. Cover with whipped topping and then sprinkle with coconut, if desired.