Prep 3 hrs
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
- 100 snails
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1⁄2 bay leaf
- 1 sprig basil
- 1 orange rind, Pared
- 7 ounces pork rinds
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb fatty bacon
- 6 tablespoons walnuts, shelled and ground
- 4 canned anchovy fillets
- 3 cloves garlic
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 6 1⁄2 lbs spinach leaves, trimmed
- Starve the snails for at least 8 days, then wash them in several changes of water until clean.
- Rinse with vinegar, then drain.
- Place the snails in a saucepan of boiling water with the thyme, bay leaf, basil, orange peel and pork rind.
- When the snails are almost cooked, drain them and remove them from their shells. Brown the snails in olive oil with the very finely-chopped fatty bacon, the ground walnuts, anchovy fillets, crushed garlic and salt and pepper.
- Thicken the mixture with the flour, then serve on a bed of spinach.