Snails Sommeroise / Escargots a la Sommeroise
- Starve the snails for at least 8 days, then wash them in several changes of water until clean.
- Rinse with vinegar, then drain.
- Place the snails in a saucepan of boiling water with the thyme, bay leaf, basil, orange peel and pork rind.
- When the snails are almost cooked, drain them and remove them from their shells. Brown the snails in olive oil with the very finely-chopped fatty bacon, the ground walnuts, anchovy fillets, crushed garlic and salt and pepper.
- Thicken the mixture with the flour, then serve on a bed of spinach.