Prep 30 mins
Cook 11 hrs
American's Test Kitchen; use this filling for tostados, burritos, enchiladas, tacos, etc.
- 2 onions, minced
- 1⁄3 cup chili powder
- 3 tablespoons minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed and halved
- salt and pepper
- Microwave onion, chili powder, chipotles, oil, garlic, jalapeno, tomato paste, and cumin in a bowl, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir tomato sauce, sugar, and liquid smoke into slow cooker.
- Season beef with salt and pepper, add to slow cooker, and coat evenly with sauce mixture.
- Cover and cook until beef is tender, 9-11 hours on LOW or 5-7 hours on HIGH.
- Transfer beef to large bowl, let cool slightly, then shred into bite-size pieces, discarding excess fat; cover to keep warm.
- Let braising liquid settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- Toss shredded beef with 1 cup braising liquid; add more liquid as needed to keep meat moist and flavorful.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- **Filling can be refrigerated in airtight container for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 1 month.
- If frozen, let filling thaw completely before using.