11 hrs 30 mins
American's Test Kitchen; use this filling for tostados, burritos, enchiladas, tacos, etc.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 onions, minced
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 3 tablespoons minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed and halved
- salt and pepper
- 1Microwave onion, chili powder, chipotles, oil, garlic, jalapeno, tomato paste, and cumin in a bowl, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker.
- 2Stir tomato sauce, sugar, and liquid smoke into slow cooker.
- 3Season beef with salt and pepper, add to slow cooker, and coat evenly with sauce mixture.
- 4Cover and cook until beef is tender, 9-11 hours on LOW or 5-7 hours on HIGH.
- 5Transfer beef to large bowl, let cool slightly, then shred into bite-size pieces, discarding excess fat; cover to keep warm.
- 6Let braising liquid settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- 7Toss shredded beef with 1 cup braising liquid; add more liquid as needed to keep meat moist and flavorful.
- 8Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 9**Filling can be refrigerated in airtight container for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 1 month.
- 10If frozen, let filling thaw completely before using.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smoky Shredded Chipotle Beef Filling
Serving Size: 1 (785 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 163.6
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 776.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 4.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo