Recipe by KateL
Entered for safe-keeping. From Deborah Madison's "This Can't Be Tofu!" Use plastic gloves while handling chile and remove from hands and wash hands before proceeding; be careful not to rub eyes or any sensitive areas while handling chile.
Top Review by limeleaf
This was great and easy to make. I used a lot less cheese (just personal taste), and used parsley instead of the cilantro. It looks nice on the plate and would be good for a vegetarian brunch or breakfast. Thanks for the recipe.
- 12 ounces soft tofu (1 carton)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons safflower oil or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons onions, thinly diced
- 1 serrano chilies or 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried chipotle powder (or more)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground turmeric or 1⁄8 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup smoked cheddar cheese or 1⁄2 cup smoked mozzarella cheese, grated
- 3 tortillas, warmed
- salsa, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain the tofu, wrap it in a towel, and press while you gather the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat the oil in a skillet, add the onion, and saute over high heat for 1-2 minutes to sear.
- Add the chile, cumin, oregano, and ground chipotle powder, and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Crumble the tofu into the pan, sprinkle the turmeric over all, and cook, stirring frequently, until dry and firm (but not hard).
- Season with salt and stir in the cilantro and cheese.