Prep 7 mins
Cook 8 mins
Entered for safe-keeping. From Deborah Madison's "This Can't Be Tofu!" Use plastic gloves while handling chile and remove from hands and wash hands before proceeding; be careful not to rub eyes or any sensitive areas while handling chile.
- 12 ounces soft tofu (1 carton)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons safflower oil or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons onions, thinly diced
- 1 serrano chilies or 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried chipotle powder (or more)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground turmeric or 1⁄8 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup smoked cheddar cheese or 1⁄2 cup smoked mozzarella cheese, grated
- 3 tortillas, warmed
- salsa, for garnish
- Drain the tofu, wrap it in a towel, and press while you gather the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat the oil in a skillet, add the onion, and saute over high heat for 1-2 minutes to sear.
- Add the chile, cumin, oregano, and ground chipotle powder, and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Crumble the tofu into the pan, sprinkle the turmeric over all, and cook, stirring frequently, until dry and firm (but not hard).
- Season with salt and stir in the cilantro and cheese.
This was great and easy to make. I used a lot less cheese (just personal taste), and used parsley instead of the cilantro. It looks nice on the plate and would be good for a vegetarian brunch or breakfast. Thanks for the recipe.
This was really, really good. We rarely give 5 stars. We'd been trying various tofu scramble recipes but they all seemed heavy on the nutritional yeast, which DH didn't like. Now, about the tomatoes? Where are they? not that they were needed and might make it too watery if fresh ones were added. We also used a firm silken variety of tofu. I would be inclined to amend the recipe title and not go searching for something missing in the ingredient list. And our apologies to the true vegetarians out there, but we fried up a little chorizo sausage and then made this in the same pan. We just like tofu.