Entered for safe-keeping. From Deborah Madison's "This Can't Be Tofu!" Use plastic gloves while handling chile and remove from hands and wash hands before proceeding; be careful not to rub eyes or any sensitive areas while handling chile.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces soft tofu (1 carton)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons safflower oil or 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons onions, thinly diced
- 1 serrano chilies or 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chipotle powder (or more)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric or 1/8 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup smoked cheddar cheese or 1/2 cup smoked mozzarella cheese, grated
- 3 tortillas, warmed
- salsa, for garnish
- 1Drain the tofu, wrap it in a towel, and press while you gather the rest of the ingredients.
- 2Heat the oil in a skillet, add the onion, and saute over high heat for 1-2 minutes to sear.
- 3Add the chile, cumin, oregano, and ground chipotle powder, and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- 4Crumble the tofu into the pan, sprinkle the turmeric over all, and cook, stirring frequently, until dry and firm (but not hard).
- 5Season with salt and stir in the cilantro and cheese.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smoky Scrambled Tofu With Tomatoes and Chile by Deborah Madison
Serving Size: 1 (223 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 431.2
- Calories from Fat 205
- Total Fat 22.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 19.7 mg
- Sodium 962.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 18.1 g