Recipe by KathyP53
This soup got fabulous reviews on the Food Network website....I mean a ton. It sounds different and delish. I can't wait to try it.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 8 medium portabella mushrooms
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 24 ounces chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 quart heavy cream
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine 1/4 cup olive oil and 3 drops of liquid smoke. Toss 4 of the Portobello mushrooms in oil mixture and roast them in the oven for approximately 45 minutes. Chop mushrooms into cubes.
- In a large pot, saute onions in olive oil. Once onions are sauteed, add remaining uncooked Portobello mushrooms and garlic. After mushrooms and garlic are cooked, add roasted mushrooms, white wine, and chicken broth. Allow mixture to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool slightly, and place mixture in blender in batches. Blend well. Set mixture aside after blended.
- Add butter to soup pot and melt over medium heat. Blend flour into melted butter and cook, stirring constantly, until browned to create a roux. Slowing blend in heavy cream, stirring constantly until well mixed.
- Return mushroom mixture to pot and stir well to blend. Simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Serve with croutons, sour cream, and sliced chives.