Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is an adaptation of a recipe posted by Lynne Valeriote on the foodtv.ca web site. My son loves this recipe and I make it weekly and store it in containers in individual serving sizes in the freezer. You can make it hotter or tamer by adjusting the amount of chipotles.
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 orange sweet bell pepper or 1 yellow sweet pepper, cut into large dice
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 lb lean ground beef or 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, removed from casings and crumbled
- 5 -6 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, minced
- salt and pepper
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (19 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 (12 ounce) can corn
- 1 (5 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 -2 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Brown Italian sausage and ground meat together over medium heat in large pot draining any excess fat.
- Add onions, celery garlic and cook until softened.
- Add sweet pepper for a few minutes, otherwise they are too soft.
- Add chili powder, minced chipotle,and liquid smoke.
- Add tomatoes, sugar and corn, mixing well.
- Bring to boil and let simmer slowly for an hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add kidney beans and let simmer another 15 minutes.
- Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
Fabulous recipe - thanks for posting. Made a great change from the usual chilli con carne we cook. Just loved the smoky flavour, definitely one we will be making again.