Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- coarse salt
- coarse black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes (Muir Glen)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 cup white rice
- Heat a soup pot over medium-high heat; add olive oil, then add the bacon; cook 3-4 minutes to render to fat.
- Add in the bay leaf, celery, onions, and garlic; cook 3-4 minutes to soften the veggies.
- Add in corn and 1 can black beans and their juice.
- Drain the other can, then add half the can of beans.
- Mash the remaining beans in the can with a fork to make a paste out of them, then scrape them into the pot.
- Add in coriander, chili powder, cumin, Worcestershire, hot sauce, salt/pepper to taste.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and stock; cover pot, increase heat to bring the stoup to a boil.
- Add in the rice; cover the stoup over a rolling simmer until the rice is tender but has a little bite left to it, 15 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings and serve.