Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Real Simple magazine.
- 8 ounces sliced bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen corn
- 3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- kosher salt and pepper
- 4 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- Cook bacon in large saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat until crisp, about 8 minutes, and transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Discard all but 2 Tbs of drippings and return pot to medium heat.
- Cook the onion, stirring occasionally until soft, 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic, paprika and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
- Stir in the corn, broth and half-and-half and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Transfer half of the soup to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- Return to pot, season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Serve in bowls topped with bacon and scallions.