Recipe by COOKGIRl
One of those easy recipes to rely on when you can't think of what to make for dinner. If you wish, for a protein boost, one cup of cooked, diced chicken or seasoned tofu can be added. From Pillsbury Soups and Chilies February 1998.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup red bell pepper, seeded, membrane removed and diced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) canspicy vegetarian chili beans, undrained
- 1 cup broth or 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup hickory flavored barbecue sauce (*read NOTE)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
Directions See How It's Made
- *NOTE: If you do not have hickory smoked barbecue sauce on hand, add 1/2 teaspoon liquid hickory smoke to regular barbecue sauce.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until hot. Saute the bell pepper, onion and garlic until softened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, mixing well. (The chicken or tofu should be added at this time if using.) Simmer chili 30 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings if necessary right before serving.
- Chili can also be warmed in a crock pot on LOW for 3-4 hours.