1/1 Photo of Smoked Sausage and Potato Corn Chowder
1 hr 20 mins
The most decadent, smoky, creamy soup. Not exactly health food, but a wonderful, once in a while indulgence. I use Better Than Bullion paste (chicken flavor) in this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs smoked beef sausage, kielbasa or 2 lbs Polish sausage, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 medium sweet onions, cut in large chunks
- 5 -6 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2-2 quarts chicken broth
- 9 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 32 ounces frozen corn
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 -2 teaspoon chicken base (optional)
- salt (to taste)
- sliced green onion
- 1In a large stockpot, Brown sausage in butter, to render fat. Remove sausage from pan and set aside, reserving fat.
- 2Add onions to pot, and saute until they begin to soften.
- 3Add carrots and celery, and saute for 5 minutes, or until tender.
- 4Sprinkle flour over vegetables, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, to cook off “floury” taste.
- 5Add chicken stock, stirring to de-glaze pot, and to combine roux with stock, simmer for 5 minutes to thicken stock.
- 6Add garlic, pepper, and potatoes, simmer for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. (don’t overcook, as potatoes will dissolve!).
- 7Add sausage back to soup.
- 8Add Corn, half and half, and cheeses.
- 9Simmer until hot, and all cheeses are melted, and combined.
- 10Taste for seasoning, if in seems bland, add Better Than Bullion, 1 tbsp at a time, if it still seems to need it, add salt to taste.
- 11Garnish with green onions, and serve with crusty bread.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smoked Sausage and Potato Corn Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (521 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 585.2
- Calories from Fat 250
- Total Fat 27.8 g
- Saturated Fat 16.8 g
- Cholesterol 83.4 mg
- Sodium 912.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 23.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked beef sausage