Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Danish-style pumpernickel bread is available in the refrigerated deli section of many supermarkets. From Bon Appetit: The Christmas Season.
- 226.79 g cream cheese, room temperature
- 88.74 ml chopped chives
- 59.14 ml creme fraiche or 59.14 ml sour cream
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh dill or 9.85 ml dried dill
- 473.18 ml finely chopped red onions
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml rice vinegar
- 24 slice thin danish-style pumpernickel bread
- 340.19 g thinly sliced smoked salmon
- Mix cream cheese, chives, creme fraiche and dill in medium bowl. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate).
- Mix red onions, sugar, and vinegar in another medium bowl.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Spread each bread slice with about 1 tablespoon cheese mixture to cover.
- Divide salmon among 16 bread slices.
- Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon red onion mixture atop salmon on each bread slice.
- Top each of 8 salmon-topped bread slices with another salmon-topped bread slice, salmon side up.
- Top each stack with 1 cheese-covered bread slice, cheese side down, forming a total of 8 three-layer sandwiches.
- Cut each sandwich diagonally into quarters.
- (Can be made 1 hour ahead. Cover with clean, damp cloth and chill).
I scaled this down for one. Great sandwich! Love Scandinavian food! Made for ZWT 2013. What a great way to explore the food of the world :)