Recipe by QueenChefTC
Learned this soup during a cooking class at a NMC Culinary Center. It is to die for... Side note... you can substitute bacon for salt pork if none is available.
- 1⁄4 lb salt pork (ground)
- 2 medium onions, peeled and medium dice
- 3 carrots, peeled and medium dice
- 3 stalks celery, medium dice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 3 -4 large russet potatoes, peeled and medium dice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 8 ounces smoked salmon, flaked
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large heavy bottom pot over medium/high heat.
- Add the bacon or salt pork and stir until it renders and begins to brown.
- Add the onion, carrot, and celery and saute until the vegetables start to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add the stock, tomato paste and milk and bring to a simmer.
- Add the cherries, potatoes, cream and corn and simmer for about 15 minutes - be careful not to let it boil!
- Add the salmon and thyme and simmer for about 15 minutes more.
- Garnish with the chives and taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and white pepper.