Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A deliciously rich breakfast casserole, sure to impress guests and family alike.
- 2 cups French bread, cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups new potatoes, 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup shallot, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb smoked salmon, flaked into bite-size pieces
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons chives, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F Arrange bread on rimmed baking sheet. Bake until pale golden, then cool.
- Butter 8x14" glass baking dish. Melt butter with oil in heavy large skillet over medium-low heat. Add potatoes. Stir to coat and arrange in single layer. Cover and cook until almost tender. Uncover; increase heat to medium-high, and cook until potatoes are lightly browned and tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add shallots and sauté until soft, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Gently mix in bread and salmon. Transfer mixture to prepared dish.
- Whisk eggs and next 5 ingredients in medium bowl to blend well. Pour over potato mixture in dish. Let stand 15 minutes, occasionally pressing bread into custard. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before baking.).
- Bake casserole, uncovered, until custard is set, about 30 minutes. Cut into squares and serve hot.