Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Great grill recipe. Allow to marinate 4 hours.
- 1 (3 lb) broiler-fryer chickens, quartered
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 cups apples or 2 cups hickory chips
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon onion powder
- Place chicken in a resealable plastic bag sit in a shallow dish.
- For marinade: In a small bowl, combine pineapple juice, vinegar, oil and soy sauce. Pour over chicken; seal bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 4 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- At least 1 hour before grilling, soak wood chips in enough water to cover. Drain before using.
- For rub: In a small bowl, stir together sugar, salt, paprika, sage, pepper, chili powder, and onion powder. Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Pat chicken dry. Sprinkle rub evenly over chicken; rub in with your fingers.
- Place chicken, bone sides down, on grill rack over drip pan. Cover and grill for 50 to 60 minutes or until no longer pink (180 degrees). Add more coals and wood chips as needed.