Recipe by Galley Wench
Not sure where this recipe originated . . . I'm thinking Cooking Light (non-fat milk). Other cheeses can be used however I'm really partial to the smoked gouda!
- 1 slice whole wheat bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup shredded smoked gouda cheese
- 1 1⁄2 ounces grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 5 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- 4 cups hot cooked elbow macaroni (about 2 cups uncooked)
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place bread in a food processor, and pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1/2 cup.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; cook 1 minute. Add flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, salt, and pepper, stirring constantly with a whisk until blended. Bring to a boil; cook until thick (about 2 minutes). Add cheeses; stir until melted.
- Add spinach and macaroni to cheese sauce, stirring until well blended. Spoon mixture into a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until bubbly.