Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Not sure where this recipe originated . . . I'm thinking Cooking Light (non-fat milk). Other cheeses can be used however I'm really partial to the smoked gouda!
- 1 slice whole wheat bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup shredded smoked gouda cheese
- 1 1⁄2 ounces grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 5 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- 4 cups hot cooked elbow macaroni (about 2 cups uncooked)
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place bread in a food processor, and pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1/2 cup.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; cook 1 minute. Add flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, salt, and pepper, stirring constantly with a whisk until blended. Bring to a boil; cook until thick (about 2 minutes). Add cheeses; stir until melted.
- Add spinach and macaroni to cheese sauce, stirring until well blended. Spoon mixture into a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until bubbly.
Wow. This is FABULOUS!! I took the liberty to add some additional cheese (had some chipotle gouda in fridge). Mmmm!!! Thanks, GW!
Loved it! Thank you for posting!
I had seen this recipe on myrecipes.com, originally from Cooking Light Magazine. I was glad to find it here, so I could add it to my shopping list. It was a winner for us. I didn't have any green onion, so left it out and I used garlic powder instead of fresh garlic. I followed everything else exactly, and it turned out wonderfully. My husband went back for seconds and my 1 year old didn't mind the least that there was spinach in it. We really enjoyed it and will definitely make it again, thanks for sharing the recipe.